FordFusionClub.com banner

5000 miles vs 7500 miles

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  DELTAJOHN 
#1 ·
Just bought a 2010 2.5L Fusion. Was reading through the manual and saw the OCI is 7500 miles, where as previously it had been 5000. Something about this makes me uncomfortable considering the Motorcraft oil isn't full synthetic.

What is your opinion on this? I'm really tempted to stick to the previous OCI.

#2 ·
[quote author=Marshalus link=topic=152285.msg3261153#msg3261153 date=1249325189]
Just bought a 2010 2.5L Fusion. Was reading through the manual and saw the OCI is 7500 miles, where as previously it had been 5000. Something about this makes me uncomfortable considering the Motorcraft oil isn't full synthetic.

What is your opinion on this? I'm really tempted to stick to the previous OCI.
[/quote]

I believe all 09 models have 7500 oil changes as well. I was worried like you so I asked my tech guys at the dealership and they said 7,500 is ok but if you want stick to 5,000 mile intervals. Really it does not matter. The car can go 7,500 and the BMW Z4 has 15,000 mile intervals. I do oil changes every 6 months at about 6,000 miles.

#4 ·
Hi Marshalus. :wavey: I agree with roaf. With modern engine and oil technologies, a 6 month/7,500 Normal Service OCI is perfectly acceptable. That goes for Conventional, Synthetic Blend or Full Synthetic oils. Otherwise, Ford would not recommend it.

In fact, the first Ford US passenger car to adopt the 7,500 Normal Service OCI was the 2007 model year MKZ, when the new 3.5L engine was introduced. With the 2008 model year, the rest of the Ford lineup/engines adopted the 7,500 mile OCI.

If you are not comfortable with 7,500 mile OCI's, use the Severe Service OCI which is 6 months/5,000 miles. In the end, it is all a matter of personal preference. So use any OCI (up to 6 months/7,500 miles) you feel comfortable with. There are even some people who still use the old 3 month/3,000 mile OCI. :csweeney:

Bottom line is that considering the average annual mileage driven by US drivers, many drivers will need to change on the time interval (6 months) before they ever hit the 7,500 mile mark anyway.

I also agree with biggee. :lmao:

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :cheers:

#5 ·
Yeah yeah, I know this probably something that got debated a lot when they made the change. I'm new around here ;)

I also come from the VW world where if you didn't maintain a 5K OCI with VW 502.00 certified fully synthetic oil the VW gods would come down and beat you... or just sludge up your engine. This was after their original owners manuals for years said use whatever you want as long as its 5W-30 and they were forced to revise it, and after they spec'd out an oil filter that was two sizes two small and had to reissue guidelines years later to use a larger one. This was after putting a 4qt reservoir on a turbo charged car. :rant:

I guess I'm just paranoid about these things.

#6 ·
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=152285.msg3261270#msg3261270 date=1249328646]
Hi Marshalus. :wavey: I agree with roaf. With modern engine and oil technologies, a 6 month/7,500 Normal Service OCI is perfectly acceptable. That goes for Conventional, Synthetic Blend or Full Synthetic oils. Otherwise, Ford would not recommend it.

In fact, the first Ford US passenger car to adopt the 7,500 Normal Service OCI was the 2007 model year MKZ, when the new 3.5L engine was introduced. With the 2008 model year, the rest of the Ford lineup/engines adopted the 7,500 mile OCI.

If you are not comfortable with 7,500 mile OCI's, use the Severe Service OCI which is 6 months/5,000 miles. In the end, it is all a matter of personal preference. So use any OCI (up to 6 months/7,500 miles) you feel comfortable with. There are even some people who still use the old 3 month/3,000 mile OCI. :csweeney:

Bottom line is that considering the average annual mileage driven by US drivers, many drivers will need to change on the time interval (6 months) before they ever hit the 7,500 mile mark anyway.

I also agree with biggee. :lmao:

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :cheers:
[/quote]

Of course you agree with me because I am taking the words right out of your mouth from the last time I asked this question. If anything I should have gave credit to you.

#7 ·
Personally as I live in Canada and have an extremely short commute to work (3km one way) I follow the "Severe Service" intervals (6m / 8,000km) and even then I've decided to eat the cost of full synthetic oil.

I have no idea what the conditions are like that you drive in and I believe that should also play a factor as to whether you do the barest minimum as per the manual or that bit extra for a car that you own (A leased car throws the equation for a bit of a loop)

NefCanuck

#8 ·
I "grew up" on the 3 month/3000 mile OCI. As I became older and got a job with a 38 mile commute, I researched this and realized that even on my 01 Pontiac Sunfire could go with a 5000 mi OCI.

So...when I bought my 09 Fusion, it came with a 2 yr/25000 mi Premium Maintenance Plan and I am currently following a 5k OCI. However, I will gladly follow the normal OCI of 7500 miles once it ends. This happily works out well, since I have put 13,200 miles on my car since 3/4/09. I'd be getting an oil change every 5 weeks if I followed a 3k OCI.

Here's the bottom line, as I see it with regard to OCI: The engineers AND the accountants get together to develop the correct OCI. The engineers KNOW the engine and drivetrain, I don't--they are paid well to do so. The accountants want to minimize warranty claims. So...Ford will only put the recommended OCI in the manual that it knows it can back up.

It's your choice, but I see no reason not to follow a 7500 OCI as long as you don't meet the Severe Service Schedule.

#11 ·
I start off with 5K intervals with Mobil 1 while in warranty. Once off warranty my OCI goes to 10K with Mobil 1./ In my Corvette, GM's oil change reminder measures engine load, temp, and driving style and adjusts the interval accordingly. The interval in my case (Corvette) has been 12,500,. MOBIL 1 is THE ONLY oil allowed in a CORVETTE engine. Many, VERY ANAL engineer types on the Corvette forum do oil analysis at that 12,500 number. The results state the oil in the crankcase is STILL SERVICEABLE, even with that many miles.

So, I change my oil in the Fords with Mobil 1 5W-20, Motorcraft filter every 10,000 miles, and so will my 2010 Fusion . My Mustang, and Escape, are maintained that way, and each runs superbly. Both engines are so quiet, all you hear is the tick of the injectors. I'm all about great maintenance, I'm also all about not wasting money, and creating work.

John

#12 ·
But John, just for the sake of argument just because the oil is "SERVICEABLE" why not spend the extra $30 and do the oil change sooner to protect an ever so expensive investment? Why try to squeeze ever last mile of of the oil? Even if it's still serviceable there are still contaminents (sp) and acids, etc in that oil. Isn't fresh oil better?

#13 ·
[quote author=biggee72]
just for the sake of argument just because the oil is "SERVICEABLE" why not spend the extra $30 and do the oil change sooner to protect an ever so expensive investment?[/quote]
Because it is still being protected, so why change it?
Why try to squeeze ever last mile of of the oil?
Because it is a waste of money, time, and adds to pollution.
Even if it's still serviceable there are still contaminents (sp) and acids, etc in that oil.
As long as you have a quality filter contaminates are not a problem. Quality oil doesn't product a lot of acid, ect, ect thats why you pay for that premium.
Isn't fresh oil better?
When the old stuff is done, yes.
Changing it early means you are adding to the used oil consumption when you don't have to.
I'm no green nut job by any means quite & frankly they annoy me but I see it as a over all waste to change oil before it needs to be.
It takes me 1 yr to reach 5k on my stang. I don't change it early because I don't have to. My oil analysis shows that I don't have too either.

#14 ·
[quote author=biggee72 link=topic=152285.msg3362021#msg3362021 date=1255095754]
But John, just for the sake of argument just because the oil is "SERVICEABLE" why not spend the extra $30 and do the oil change sooner to protect an ever so expensive investment? Why try to squeeze ever last mile of of the oil? Even if it's still serviceable there are still contaminents (sp) and acids, etc in that oil. Isn't fresh oil better?
[/quote]

100% agreed

#16 ·
[quote author=biggee72 link=topic=152285.msg3362940#msg3362940 date=1255137036]
I think if Ford engineers thought an engine could go on 12,000 miles they'd recommend synthetic @ a minimum of 10,000 mile changes. I think your playing russian roulette.
[/quote]
We are not discussing what the engine can do, we are discussing what oils can do. Ford test there vehicles based on motorcraft fluids specs (there synthetic blend not there full syn) not pennzoil, amsoil, modil, royal purple, redline, ect, ect.

#17 ·
[quote author=biggee72 link=topic=152285.msg3362021#msg3362021 date=1255095754]
[/quote]

I understand what you are saying, but if you got 200,000 out of oil changes this way, (which I did) why would you halve the interval? It's just not needed. After 200K on a car, I'm tired of it and it usually gets sold.

I'm truly impressed how well Mobil one works in engines. I have a 1981 Honda CBX, 24 valve, 6 carb, 6cyl AIR COOLED motorcycle which used Mobil1 15w-50 fully synthetic oil, from day one. The bike has 65,000 miles on it, and sees a 5K OCI. The engine is literally PRISTINE inside, you can still see grind marks on the cams from the factory, Mobil 1 is amazing stuff, I don't fear at all running it that way. And remember the bike has a 9,500 redline, and cruises at 65 mph @ 4500 rpm all day long.

I also have 4 cars on the road, and four motorcycles, I could certainly use more free time not changing oil. I just reached the opinion that if nothing is hurting my engines, why not? There are also C-5 Corvette guys out there with (daily drivers) over 200K on their cars, changing oil at the 12,500 interval, with tight, well running engines, modern oil is good stuff.

It's only Russian roulette, if there's a fear based RISK, I have COMPLETE FAITH in Mobil 1, and it's an earned faith built on confidence, and results, from long term use of the product.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.