FordFusionClub.com banner

2013 Ford Fusion quality issues

33K views 65 replies 25 participants last post by  Morgannec 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,
On my '13 FF Hybrid (with around 1000 miles) the rear window chrome trim (below rear DLO) became detached.. The dealer couldn't fix it and have ordered replacement part (not sure if the whole glass and the rubber strip/chrome trim or just the rubber strip with chrome trim) and an appt with glass company this weekend.

Also, the C-pillar cover panel is detached (looks like this is how it came from factory).. I just didn't notice it until now. The dealer looked at it and is a broken retaining clip.Will be fixed when I take it back in to get the chrome trim fixed.

This is my first time buying a ford (or any domestic for that matter) and even though these are minor issues, has me worried with these build quality issues. :verysad: Wasn't expecting this on a brand new car.

Taking the car again this weekend to get these things fixed. Will let you know how it goes.

ps. Tried attaching pics, but getting a DB error when I click on the Manage attachments button. Will try attaching pics later.

See less See more
#2 ·
These are very minor issues. I had a trim piece that was not quite flush. Dealer replaced, no questions asked. Other than that, I now have 5k+ miles, and so far so good.

I look at it this way. I came from a Mitsubishi, that had a 5yr/60k b2b 10yr/100k powertrain warranty. Seemed great, but it was a scam. They rarely fixed these kind of issues, rattles, gaps etc.. even at the beginning, they basically said tough $h*t.

Ford on the other hand, has gone out of their way so far to correct any issues I bring up. This is despite having a shorter warranty period.

Basically, a warranty is only as good as the length to which the company will stand behind it. The term length etc.. is irrelevant.

Also, considering the complexity of these builds, vs other cars, and for a 1st year model, I am surprised by just how good things are. But its a risk one takes buying a first year model.

Since it sounds like Ford and dealer are making good faith efforts to fix, I wouldnt worry about it yet.

#3 ·
^ What he said.

I had a few issues with mine when it came in too. Auto up feature not working on the front drivers window, weather strip on rear drivers window was curled in when the window was rolled up at the factory causing it to become deformed, remote start wasn't working properly... I picked mine up last Friday and the dealership picked it up from me at work on Monday and had it all fixed and back to me by lunch. Today the passenger side front window auto up feature wouldn't work so it'll be going back again. To me these are minor inconveniences. I agree that its a bit aggravating to have stuff go wrong (or come from the factory wrong) on a brand new car that you are paying good money for. If the dealerships taking care of you, that's what matters.

#4 ·
I 2nd Stealth's thoughts on it.

I have had no fit/finish issues. My only concern has been the mystic 'gas fillup' issue - which for me I've determined after 2k+ miles, and using a fuel app - that it's just sticking itself with a 2+ gal reserve. I'm not overly pleased about that, but it is what it is. I have to say the car 'seems' like it's taking slightly more gas, as it also starts to get better and better gas mileage.

Ford will make it right for you on this car; this is their fleet vehicle, their bread and butter. I can say without a doubt I've gotten better 'service' and attention from them with this car than with my Mustang (it was also new).

#5 ·
Why people run out and purchase a new redesign boggles my mind. When I purchased my 2011 Fusion, I didn't have one issue, knock on wood..even Consumer Reports said to wait 1-2 years before buying the '13 Fusion. People are just rushing out there because of a car that's stylish when you'd be bored of the style 1-2 years from now, like I had with the Sonata when the redesign came out and now I am like...ewww...People who just run out to buy a car because how it looks are the same type of people who date others based on appearance alone...tsk tsk..

#10 · (Edited)
So you're assuming all owners of 2013's got theirs based on appearances? Nope, we wouldn't have sense to purchase a car because on it's technical options, or economy ratings, or crash ratings, or it's best in class handling, or pricing (I got 3k off mine...). Nope, we're only here for 'looks'. Tsk tsk, on assuming a bit too much of fellow Fusion buyers.

I find all the BS about 'redesign cars all have issues' to be mostly the shop talk of the anally retentive that 'do' go buy new cars just because they are 'new' - not because it's a 'redesign' of a model or whatnot. Just so happens, that both 'redesigns' and 'new car' pull from the same pool ever few years..

Generally speaking people will come to forums to seek 'help' for minor issues or questions , whereas the folks with no problems don't come to a forum at all. So sure you're going to 'hear' about issues on 'any' car forum, more than you'll hear people stopping in just to say 'hey all is well, just wanted to share - I won't be back'. Generally the folks that only stop in to say 'hey all is well' are also here to say 'by the way, what else can I do to my car..'

#7 ·
Ford is damn good about these things.

Little bit of the coating on my steering wheel came off. Replaced under warranty. Got a 2011 Toyota Corolla rental (ewww. It felt like a 94. And Toyota still hasn't made power windows/locks standard? What gives?)

I took my car in for a transmission reprogram and they mentioned the bumper-to-bumper warranty was almost up. I was just like "Yeah, the only thing with the car that would even be covered under that now is a bit of chrome bubbling on a rear door handle, but I honestly couldn't give a shit about that".

Despite me saying I don't care at all about the chrome bubble, they still ordered a new part and replaced it under warranty. Rental that time was a 2012 F150 Ecoboost -- much better!

I especially liked that, when I bought the car I put some headliner material in the doors to reduce rattles. This included a big piece right behind the door handle assembly, since that commonly rattles, plus tape around the clip. Nissan would've immediately said "Oh, you messed with the parts, WARRANTY VOID." Ford didn't. They went out of their way to put my headliner materials back where they were when they put the new part in.

How Ford handles warranties is what's keeping me with them now.

#8 ·
I purchased one of the first Fusions off my Ford dealers lot, built back in September of 2012. When I first saw it, I knew that was the car that I wanted. Not my first Fusion, my 2013 is my third Fusion. 2007 and 2010 I've owned also. Fusion is one of the best cars that Ford has built.

Buying so early, which I have never done before, I knew there would be some issues and they have all been minor. I accepted this when I bought it and I am completely happy with my purchase.

Chrysler used to be the car company that would be out in front of the crowd with all these neat little pieces of tech in their vehicles, but Ford has really stepped up their game and now the others are copy-cat'in them. Cudos to Ford.

Warranty, never had a problem getting anything fixed. Took my last fusion in for an oil change and the tech said that my battery was a bit weak. As this was 2 weeks till my warranty expired, they replaced it under warranty. That is service.

#11 ·
Also, not to mention, this car is based of the European Mondeo, which has been in production for quite some time now. So yes, the car is new here, and it's new to the plant building it for the NA market, but the platform and underpinnings are not exactly 1st year designs.

#12 ·
Actually, even the Euro Mondeo is redesigned. Thats why we have had difficulty finding even European part suppliers.

But, the engine, transmission, and other components arent new. They have been used successfully in the Escape, Edge, Focus, etc.. In fact, the Fusion is late to the party.

Thats probably why we are mainly seeing exterior/trim, body panel fitment, and electronics issues, because those are the only truly new things.

If the engine and transmission were brand new, untested, plus a new design, maybe I would have reconsidered. But I was in the market for a new car, I wanted a turbo, aggressive styling, quality, and refinement. For the price, no other car fits the bill like the new Fusion.

Plus, the constant attention and gawking from bystanders is fun too :)

#13 ·
Ah, you're right. For some reason I thought the Fusion (and new Mondeo) was just adopting the platform used from the previous Mondeos (which was EUCD). However, they all moved to the CD4 platform. Like you said though, a lot of the powertrain and other components aren't new.

#14 ·
The same thing just happened to my car, the rear side window lower chrome piece just fell off. I was washing the car and the thing just fell off. Amazing it didn't fall off sooner or while i was going down the road.
Glad to hear you've got yours fixed New2Ford and without any hassle.
Looks like i may be in for one though. I first called the dealer i purchased car from which was Northstar Ford in Duluth, Mn. They said i'd have to wait 2 weeks to schedule a oil change and have the trim piece looked at. He said they would have to take pictures of the trim piece and send it in..didn't say where he had to send the pictures to, in order to see if it was covered under warranty. Last car I'll buy there.
Called another dealer and will be getting the car in for its first oil change and have them look at the trim piece on Thursday afternoon. So I'll know in a few days if they will honor the warranty or not.
Had my brother-in-law take a look at it. He could fix it but said it would be better if they tried to fix it. And that they would probably need to take the rear side window out. My brother in law has been a body man for around 40 years and also worked for a Ford dealer for many years. I'll do my best to get Ford to fix it first.
I'll try and post a few pics of the trim.

Db error can't post pics

#19 · (Edited)
The one that fell out on my car would be fairly easy to remove. You would need something to get under the rubber, and then pry it out of the rubber like you were changing a bicycle tire. Their not glued in but are held in quite firmly. Which is surprising mine just fell off. I believe they only had the top or the bottom of the trim put in the rubber. Factory messed up. No way could it just fall out on its own. Haven't really looked at how the other trim pieces are held in.
If you do try to remove the trim yourself there's a good chance you'll bend it. Their very thin.

Find out in an hour if they fixed mine. Or not fixed it. Or damaged my car trying to get it back in.

#20 ·
Not fixed. I have to bring it back in tomorrow when the service manager is there. They need to take pictures...ya their going to try and weasel out of it. They said the whole rear quarter window will have to be replaced and it costs 300 Dollars!
The guy who wrote up my bill said he's never seen anything like this. Told him to check the internet, that i'm not the first person this has happened to. The person who worked on my car was standing there and he said he's seen one of these before. He said he could try the quick and dirty way of getting it on but figured that he would have a good chance of ripping the rubber, so he didn't do that.

To be continued........

#21 ·
Dunno why but Ford occasionally wants pictures of cars before they honor warranty work.
They needed pictures of the exterior of my car before they'd replace the steering wheel.

Little awkward because I still had the 'advertising filler' plate for Brenengen Ford, while Holiday Ford was doing the warranty work -- I kept the same plate on both my cars for a couple weeks while I got the tint and stuff done ;)

#22 ·
Ya, i don't get that picture taking part. Doesn't ford know what their cars look like. The part isn't damaged or defective. It was just put together badly.
If it would have be put together properly it could never fall off.
Fellow fusion owners don't worry your trim isn't likely to fall off, i think its actually well made.

#23 ·
Brought car in this afternoon. They took a couple of pictures of the trim and were its missing from. They also took two pics of dashboard and the tag that's near the driver door also the license plate. They'll send them into ford and said i might get an answer today, if not today then Monday morning.
The window they said is close to 400 bucks for the part.
They would have just ordered the window but it was on a list of parts that ford require they take pictures of and send them in. I do believe if it wasn't for that they would have just fixed it. Most exterior parts are on that list.
They two guys i talked to today didn't even ask me how it fell off. One of them mentioned that is wasn't crimped properly, I'm not sure if he's correct about that.

#24 ·
Well now I've got another trim piece falling off. Should be interesting when they call me Monday morning and tell me if their going to fix the first trim that's falling off, and i tell them i have another one.
Its located on the passenger side window behind the outside rear view mirror.
Tried pushing it back in but it doesn't stay in very good. Doesn't snap into place, and can be easily pulled out again.
Pics...
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa206/Sinastar07/DSCN1820.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa206/Sinastar07/DSCN1819.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa206/Sinastar07/DSCN1786.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa206/Sinastar07/DSCN1784.jpg

#25 ·
Interesting. Mine has started to do this on the drivers side although its no where near as bad as yours. When I have it in for my next service I'll have it looked at unless it gets worse before then.

#27 ·
Big thanks to both of you for responding. Give me more ammo when i talk to the dealer. I've already heard that.."i've never heard of any trim coming loose on a fusion", I told 'em the internet is a lot bigger than this ford dealership.
Ya my Driver side trim doesn't look like its on there very good also. That will probably fall off next:tears:

#29 ·
Looks like I missed a lot here... Before they replaced my rear quarter glass to fix the chrome trim issue, they had to take pics of it, pics of odo/vin etc to send it to ford as part of warranty claim.. whatever their process is.

Anyway, the rear quarter glass window trim was the only problem I had which the dealership fixed. Other chrome trim pieces are holding up well (for now)...

#30 ·
Well got tired of waiting for the dealer to call me so i called them. They said i would get an answer Friday afternoon or Monday. Now its Wednesday.
Anyway..they said they will cover the part and he will have to order it. Doesn't know how long it will take, will probably find out soon.
Told him i have another part falling off. Even over the phone you could tell he was totally floored by that news. Will have to just stop by sometime and have them take a look at it, don't need an appointment. Said since its on the Exterior that they would probably have to take pictures and send them in again.
Will update when i have more info..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.