FordFusionClub.com banner

07 MKZ Remote Start

4K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  70GT500 
#1 ·
I Just got a FORD factory remote start installed at the dealer. It is just a one button remote. :( now my memory features for key 1 and 2 do not work. we tried to program them like the owners manual says but no luck. is this a bad unit or does the memory feature on the keys become disabled with the remote start? any thoughts
Rob

#2 ·
[quote author=70GT500 link=topic=157293.msg3346714#msg3346714 date=1254257439]
I Just got a FORD factory remote start installed at the dealer. It is just a one button remote. :( now my memory features for key 1 and 2 do not work. we tried to program them like the owners manual says but no luck. is this a bad unit or does the memory feature on the keys become disabled with the remote start? any thoughts
Rob
[/quote]

Hi Rob. :wavey: The Ford Factory Remote Start should not disable the memory feature.

I would try one more time to carefully reprogram the two IKT remotes to the memory seat function. If that does not work, then immediately call the Dealership that installed the Remote Start and notify them of the problem. Ask them to set up an appointment to correct the problem.

Let us know how things work out.

Good luck. :cheers:

#3 ·
Thanks I have called the dealer hopefully they will get back to me soon. As far as programming here is how what I did : set then #1 then set and push one of the buttons on the remote, the same for key 2 but nothing, I tried with the key in and out of the ignition. am I doing it wrong

#4 ·
[quote author=70GT500 link=topic=157293.msg3346762#msg3346762 date=1254258803]
Thanks I have called the dealer hopefully they will get back to me soon. As far as programming here is how what I did : set then #1 then set and push one of the buttons on the remote, the same for key 2 but nothing, I tried with the key in and out of the ignition. am I doing it wrong
[/quote]

Hi 70GT. :wavey: Here are the memory seat directions, copied and pasted from the Owners Manual:

Activating the memory feature
To activate this feature:
1. Position the seat, mirrors and pedal to the desired position.
2. Press the SET control on the
driver’s door panel.
3. Within 5 five seconds, press the 1
or 2 control on the driver’s door
panel to associate with the Driver 1
or Driver 2 position.
4. Press the set button again.
5. Within 5 seconds, press a button
on the associated Integrated
Keyhead Transmitter.

It does state "within 5 seconds" between steps 2-3 and 4-5. Is there a chance you may have taken too long between those steps?

Maybe try it on more time, a little quicker? Also, since the directions do not specify, I would leave the key out of the ignition (that is how I would read the instructions). In this way, the buttons will be easier to press within 5 seconds. Press the door buttons with your left hand and hold and press the remote button with your right hand. Shortens the time frame, in case that was the problem. :popcorn:

Just thinking out loud here.

#6 ·
[quote author=70GT500 link=topic=157293.msg3348378#msg3348378 date=1254342300]
Just got back from the dealer they do not have a clue. I will take it back next week and leave it for them. I will keep you updated
Rob
[/quote]

Hi Rob. :wavey: You did not mention it, but I guess it was not the "taking more than 5 seconds between steps 2-3 or 4-5 problem" that I hypothesized in my last reply?

What am I thinking, of course not. That would have been too simple of a solution, and it can never be that simple. :bash:

Let us know the outcome. :popcorn:

#7 ·
The dealer did not install the unit properly. Comfort memory is activated at time of ignition-on, which is being done by a third, unprogrammed "key" now that you have a remote start system. This "key" is the bypass module used to bypass the PATS system when remote starting the car. Also, the factory system would only accomodate one memory setting, unless you went with the Ford Gold Remote start, which is an alarm/remote start with a new 5- or 6-button keyfob, which would replace the functions of, but not disable, the factory remote in the key.
The one-button remote start is about the only one that the dealer would not need an outside installer for. It is a T-harness, a bypass module, and a couple of wires that have to be tagged, includiong the ones for the comfort memory settings.

#8 ·
[quote author=Ferendon link=topic=157293.msg3354895#msg3354895 date=1254761171]
Comfort memory is activated at time of ignition-on,
[/quote]

Hi Fernedon. :wavey: I certainly agree that it would seem the Dealer did not install the remote start properly.

However, unless I am misunderstanding what you are trying to state above, there is one small correction to be made, dealing only with the one sentence quoted above.

In the MKZ, the "Memory Seat" function is not activated at the time of "ignition on". In a properly programmed and operating system, the "Memory Seats" will move into position after one of three actions, and none require the ignition to be switched to he "On" position.

First, if the IKT's have been programmed to the seat positions by the vehicle owner: In a properly working system, pressing the IKT unlock button should signal the seat to move to the programmed seat position. The key does not need to be in the ignition nor turned to the "Ignition On" position for this to work (if working properly). This is the function which 70GT500 seems to have lost.

Second, if the IKT's have not been programmed to the "Memory Seat" positions by the vehicle owner: Pressing the unlock button on the IKT's will only unlock the door and have no affect on the seat positions. When the driver places the key in the ignition, the seat will move to the last programmed seating position, assuming the memory buttons have been programmed previously and one of the programmed seat positions is currently in use. Again, the key (and ignition) does not need to be turned to the "On" position. Merely inserting the key into the ignition activates the "Memory Seat" function.

Third, pushing either the "1" or "2" seat memory button on the drivers door.

Again, I think the trouble is simply either confusion in your "Memory Seat" function description (or very possibly me misunderstanding what you were trying to say :bash:).

Since everything seemed to have worked fine until the remote start installation, I certainly do not disagree with your diagnosis.

Hopefully 70GT will let us know the outcome.

#9 ·
The IKTs throw a rock in the pond, but the memory seats are still activated by the key. There is probably some sort of time-out on the comfort memory, disallowing it from happening after the ignition has been on for a certain amount of time. Try remote starting the car, and then immediately getting in to the car and attempting to activate the comfort memory. Just a hunch. When I was installing these systems, we never did any with the IKTs.

#10 ·
[quote author=Ferendon link=topic=157293.msg3356777#msg3356777 date=1254840704]
The IKTs throw a rock in the pond, but the memory seats are still activated by the key. There is probably some sort of time-out on the comfort memory, disallowing it from happening after the ignition has been on for a certain amount of time. Try remote starting the car, and then immediately getting in to the car and attempting to activate the comfort memory. Just a hunch. When I was installing these systems, we never did any with the IKTs.
[/quote]

Hi Ferendon. :wavey: Yes, one of the three ways to initiate the "Memory Seat" function is with the key being placed into the ignition.

I was only trying to make it clear for others that the memory seat function is activated as soon as the key is inserted into the ignition. The key does not need to be turned to the "Ignition on" position.

To describe it another way (for the clearer understanding of others), as soon as the key is placed into the ignition (without turning the key), the seat moves to the last used memory seat position.

Assuming 70GT was programming the functions correctly, I definitely agree with your diagnosis that there was some Dealer misstep in the installation of the remoter starter causing the problem.

Hopefully 70GT will let us know the dealers diagnosis.

#11 ·
What I'm referring to is a time out period after ignition-on, at the end of which, the recall function no longer works automatically.

#12 ·
[quote author=Ferendon link=topic=157293.msg3359679#msg3359679 date=1254965148]
What I'm referring to is a time out period after ignition-on, at the end of which, the recall function no longer works automatically.
[/quote]

Hi Fernedon. :wavey: I understand completely what you are referring to and my information in no way contradicted what you were saying. I was not even referring to the "ignition timeout" theory, since it did not apply to the information I was supplying.

I was simply making what I stated concerning memory seats and the ignition a bit clearer for others. And even then only concerning your accidentally incorrect (or maybe just incorrectly worded) statement in reply #6 that "Comfort memory is activated at time of ignition-on".

That is why I clearly stated "I was only trying to make it clear for others that the memory seat function is activated as soon as the key is inserted into the ignition. The key does not need to be turned to the "Ignition on" position." and "To describe it another way (for the clearer understanding of others)".

Sorry for the confusion and Hopefully this explanation is more understandable.

#13 ·
Sorry for taking some extra time but the problem was the programming. there should have been a 5th step that was not documented in the owners manual or the paper work with the remote, press the 1 or 2 on the door after the last step. it now works, thanks
Rob

#14 ·
[quote author=70GT500 link=topic=157293.msg3372863#msg3372863 date=1255724805]
Sorry for taking some extra time but the problem was the programming. there should have been a 5th step that was not documented in the owners manual or the paper work with the remote, press the 1 or 2 on the door after the last step. it now works, thanks
Rob
[/quote]

Hi Rob. :wavey: Thanks for getting back to us with the solution. So just to be sure I understand, here are the instructions for programming the IKT's to a "Memory Seat" position:

Activating the memory feature
To activate this feature:
1. Position the seat, mirrors and pedal to the desired position.
2. Press the SET control on the
driver’s door panel.
3. Within 5 five seconds, press the 1
or Driver 2 position.
4. Press the set button again.
5. Within 5 seconds, press a button
on the associated Integrated
Keyhead Transmitter.

So for the Remote Start keyfobs, you are saying there should be a "Step 6" that basically states something like this:

6. Again, within 5 five seconds, press the 1
or Driver 2 position.

Or are there additional buttons that need to be pushed on the new Remote Start keyfob or door? Or does the new "Step 5" replace the old "step 5"?

As you can see, I am a bit confused and just want to be sure I understand, in case this question ever pops up again (and the person does not do a site search for an answer first).

Maybe if you post the actual step by step (Step 1 through Step...?), it may be helpful.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.