FordFusionClub.com banner

Keyless and Push start

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  crystallas 
#1 ·
I know many of you might look down upon this...but how can Ford make the keyless and push start ignition standard on all Fusions?

#2 ·
[quote author=danielpoore link=topic=127089.msg2709437#msg2709437 date=1225378021]
I know many of you might look down upon this...but how can Ford make the keyless and push start ignition standard on all Fusions?
[/quote]

Hi danielpoore. :wavey: I am not sure what you mean by "How can Ford make the keyless and push start ignition standard on all Fusions?" It is not a standard or optional feature on the upcoming 2010 Fusion.

Did you mean to ask "Why can't they make the keyless and push start ignition standard on all Fusions"?

If that is your question, the answer is relatively simple. At the moment it is considered a premium item that is only offered on the Lincoln MKS and will filter down to other Lincolns and probably the new Taurus (2010 model). Of course, like most premium items it will eventually filter down to other models.

There is a price for everything, and the Fusion is considered a mid priced car. It would be unusual for the Fusion and Milan to see it before the MKX, MKZ, Flex, Taurus, Edge etc etc, unless it occurred as some sort of mid-cycle design blip.

Yes, I know there are other cars in the Fusion price range (or even lower) that have it. But on the other hand, there are many cars which are much more expensive than the Fusion that do not have it. So as always, in the end it comes down to marketing decisions and price points.

And yes, I know "If they would add it to all the Fusions it would only cost a few extra dollars per car". Again, yes that may be true, but Ford (and other Manufacturers) have decided to market it in the manner which they have, so essentially "It is what it is".

Hope I answered the right question.

Good luck. :cheers:

#4 ·
A lot of the reviews I read about the cars that have it are negative. The magazine testers always look down on it. Everyone I talk to loves it (Mainly people who own altimas). I'm not sure I'd want it. I'm wayyy too set in my ways of using a key but that's just me.

#5 ·
I definitely want this feature and it could make or break in my next new car buying decision. Even though I really want a 09 Jeep Wrangler that is the most basic of all cars and suvs out there.

My buddy has it on his Chevrolet truck, I guess it is an aftermarket thing that was installed by the previous owner. He is able to remote start his car, jump in and put it in drive and away he goes. Meanwhile I am still fumbling around with my keys and what not.

#6 ·
The reason why I ask is because I work for Nissan. Push start is a feature that the Altima and the new 370Z will have. The Altima isnt a expensive car. Its right around the same price as a Fusion. I personally like the feature. This is off subject but the GTR has a push start button as well. Like I said I know alot of people dont like but I for one would like to see Ford offer this on their cars. Just my personal note but American makes have to keep up with the Japanese. (I wonder how many hate replies this will give me). Thanks for your input.

#7 ·
Well this is not a hate reply at all, so don't take it as one!!! :lol:

Obviously the Fusion must have some more pros going for it, ask yourself "Why did I choose the Fusion when I bought a new car?" Im not sure if Nissan gives you an employee discount or not.. but in saying Ford needs to keep up with the Japanese cars it just makes me wounder why you chose to drive a Ford, since you work for an import company and you think they are ahead of Ford then how did you end up in a Fusion? I do agree that Ford could take a few lessons from Nissan and the like, however I feel they could take a few lessons from Ford as well.

lets just compare two cars that you are familiar with an Altima and a Fusion I just did this with edmunds.com here is exactly what I am looking at http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edm...920618&maxvehicles=5&refid=&op=3&tab=features

Looking the Fusion is lower in price which is a plus, Both cars have a wealth of standard features that all amount to a great car! From what I can see however Ford did equip the fusion with standard features that most people would find themselves using quite a bit more often than what Nissan chose for standard. The fact the fusion comes with a 6 cd changer, steering wheel audio controls, and MP3 playback standard in the SE is a huge advantage over the Nissan which is already 2k more and is really basic in the area of audio (which is a big deal in the auto industry today). Yes Nissan does offer it as an optional feature but that stuff is not cheap! That is not even taking SYNC into consideration! Think about it which would you have a push button ignition standard or be able to tell your car which track to play and have it listen?

Like I said just by looking the Fusion has quite a few more standard features that would make every day driving more enjoyable for quite a bit less $ from the get go. The Nissan is ahead in the area of brake assist though which Ford really needs to get on!! :lol: I would say though id rather have standard keyless entry with a remote key fob along with the great audio features over a push button ignition any day.

Again these are all my personal opinions and by no means "absolute" but I feel for the almost 2k difference or (going by my local prices down to 1.90/gallon!!!) about 1,052 gallons of gas or about 25,000 miles of my in town highway average fuel economy (24mpg) id stick with the Fusion.

Now the Nissan beats the Fusion in power and torque and that is a HUGE deal!! The fun factor is important in the cars but again 2k difference in price for 15 hp and 24 torque would cause a toss up for me.. Personally I love more power so that really would make it a hard decision for me if I had to go with a 4cyl... but then we get back to the 2k difference in price.. for about 700 more than the Nissan you can get an SE V6 which has 46 more hp and 25 more torque.. That is dirt cheap when you compare it to the 2k you would be spending for an increase of 15hp and 24 torque over a 4 cyl Fusion!! Plus you get a 6 speed transmission to boot!
Really what it all comes down to is value for $ and Ford has the Nissan beat in that department! (resale is another story :frown:) with all of that in consideration I can see why Ford has no push button ignition, they put that money into other areas that will be used often not just when starting the car. Eventually once the technology is cheap and easy Ford will have it standard but until then the $ will go to other areas of the car that will be used more often.

What Ford really needs to fix is cheap little add ons like a feakin engine cover! C'mon guys its plastic its dirt cheap and the engine bays of those imports look sooo clean and sexy!! Or little things in the cars like chrome rings around the gauges or different colored clusters and interior lights!! All of those little things make the interior on the imports look way better and it really makes me mad because its all cheap as heck! id pay 500 extra for a fusion with blue, red, orange or whatever light color compared to that god awful green any day! :bitching:

Oh and just remembered this! Nissan had a recall a while back on the keyless fob that affected A TON of cars, I personally do not want to deal with that at all and I can see how it could happen with a newer technology.. so until its been tested and proven in the MKZ (then eventually made at a lower cost for us) I will not be getting it until its out on our cars for a year or more.

So danielpoore I hope this makes sense for you, that is at least what I see Ford doing.

#8 ·
I had push button start once.

Yep, I didnt like it.

1. No matter how much you try to convince me that it can be secure, I feel LESS secure parking in public with such a feature.
2. I missed the traditional feel of turning a car on without firing the engine. Sitting in the car with the radio on, and its the same key position as every turn-key car out there.
3. Durability. They just aren't all that durable.
4. I like having a place for my keys. No place better than a keyhole. Im kind of forced to keep track of them that way LOL.

The only cool part, was showing it off. Yeah, that does me a damn bit of good. It reminds me of my girlfriend with ambient lighting in her focus. At first, she liked it, and everyone that rode with her thought it was so cool. Now she thinks its a waste of space and power, which I agree with her. Oh wow, its a colorful light... oh wow, yet another fancy button. I'm sorry, push-start is over-rated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.